Friday, January 23, 2009
1. On your notecard, please fill out the following information: name, parent/guardian contact, three adjectives that describe you, your favorite book and why, your favorite movie or tv show and why, and one thing you would like to learn in English class.
Monday, January 26, 2009
2. Write a paragraph describing the person you admire most.
Tuesday, January 27, 2009
3. Write a one paragraph story using the following sentence starter: It all started when... You must include the words: crayon, chicken wing, Yosemite Sam, & cement.
Wednesday, January 28, 2009
4. Compose 3 paragraphs arguing that every American teenager should be required to serve in the army for 2 years after high school.
Thursday, January 29, 2009
5. A foundation has offered to give a $10,000 grant for community projects or charities. You have to decided to apply to one of these grants. Write a letter to persuade them that your project or charity is worthy.
Friday, January 30, 2009
6. Explain how to make a sandwich to a four year old.
Monday, February 2, 2009
7. Using your individual prompt and the brainstorming graphic organizer from your mailbox, brainstorm your topic.
Tuesday, February 3, 2009
8. Using your prompt and brainstorm from yesterday, please write a five paragraph response.
Wednesday, February 4, 2009
9. Exchange your bellringer book with a partner. Please proofread bellringer #8 in your partner's book with a red pen. Mark the number of corrections at the bottom of the page.
Thursday, February 5, 2009
10. Looking at the revisions made to bellringer #8, revise your bellringer on a separate sheet of paper. When finished, turn in your essay for a grade.
Friday, February 6, 2009
11. Using five of your Unit 1 vocabulary words, write a story that ends with the line "Whew! That was a close one!"
Monday, February 9, 2009
12. Finish the story in at least one paragraph: "Ouch!" I looked down at the suitcase I stubbed my toe on. I bent down, opened the case, and found out it was full of money.
Tuesday, February 10, 2009
Wednesday, February 11, 2009
Thursday, February 12, 2009
Friday, February 13, 2009
13. Name the 8 parts of speech and give an example. Hint PAVPANIC
Tuesday, February 17, 2009
Wednesday, February 18, 2009
14. Write a paragraph on the topic “The Worst Pet Imaginable.” Be sure your paragraph includes a topic sentence and at least four supporting sentences.
Thursday, February 19, 2009
15. Finish the story -- The lights outside my bedroom window woke me up. I looked out the window just in time to see...
Friday, February 20, 2009
16. When you woke up this morning you discovered that you lost your sense of taste. What will you miss the most and why? 1 paragraph with 3 supporting details.
Monday, February 23, 2009
17. If you could be any celebrity for one day, who would you be? Write a paragraph explaining why you would want to be this person. Write a second paragraph about what you’d do if you got to be this person for a day.
Tuesday, February 24, 2009
18. It was quiet, too quiet. This could only mean that...
Wednesday, February 25, 2009
19. We watched in horror as our friend turned the corner and bumped right into...
Thursday, February 26, 2009
20. What is something that you really enjoy? Convince the class why they should love it too.
Friday, February 27, 2009
21. The best dialogue mimics how people actually talk. Write a dialogue between two of your friends, trying to capture their real speech patterns.
Monday, March 2, 2009
22. Complete the story in at least one paragraph. “The spaceship was out of control! The only one who could save us was…” Underline your nouns.
Tuesday, March 3, 2009
23. Imagine you are a dollar bill. Using the first person (the pronoun I) describe what happens to you during the course of a week. Make sure you have at least one sentence for each day of the week.
Wedneday, March 4, 2009
24. Using at least 5 of your Unit 3 vocabulary words, write a paragraph with the following prompt: I rubbed the magic lamp...
Thursday, March 5, 2009
25. If you knew you were going to be banished to an igloo for the rest of your life, what five items would you take along? Assume you would get all the food, water, heat and warm clothing you needed. Write a paragraph about what you would bring and why.
Friday, March 6, 2009
26. Complete the following using at least 5 Unit 3 vocabulary words: "It was a dark and stormy night." 1 paragraph.
Monday, March 9, 2009
27. Write ten sentences about the food in the school cafeteria. Five sentences should be factual and five should express your opinion.
Tuesday, March 10, 2009
28. Imagine yourself as you might be in 30 years from now. You've accomplished a great deal, or not much at all. Whatever you're up to you've decided to write an autobiography. Begin at the beginning by writing a few paragraphs about your childhood.
Wednesday, March 11, 2009
29. Your school board is considering changing the school day to 9:00 am to 5:00 pm. Write a letter to the school board to state your opinion on extending the school day.
Thursday, March 12, 2009
30. Finish the story: Goats, sheep, and chickens belong on a farm not in the middle of...
Friday, March 13. 2009
31. It's lost! What could I do now that my...
Tuesday, March 17, 2009
32. You just caught a leprechaun. Now what?
Wednesday, March 18, 2009
Thursday, March 19, 2009
33. Ed McMahon, the celebrity and not the guidance counselor, knocks on your door with a check for 20 million dollars. He then realizes he's at the wrong address. Write a letter to Ed telling him how you feel.
Friday, March 20, 2009
Monday, March 23, 2009
34. Write a convincing excuse to the school explaining why you couldn't be there today.
Tuesday, March 24, 2009
35. Choose two inanimate objects that you can see right now. Imagine they have their own distinct personalities. Create a dialogue between them.
Wednesday, March 25, 2009
36. A funny thing happened on my way to... (one paragraph)
Thursday, March 26, 2009
37. Mr. T looked down at the item in his hands. He had no choice - he had to call the FBI.
Friday, March 27, 2009
38. Write a story using the following words: mechanic, spaghetti, airplane, rollerskates, and baby dragon.
Monday, March 30, 2009
39. Who was your favorite superhero? Why? What kind of powers do they have? (This can be a parent, coach, teacher, or friend)
Tuesday, March 31, 2009
40. Choose what will be on the menu for your last meal. Explain why you picked these items.
Wednesday, April 1, 2009
41. If you had all the money in the world, what piece of memorabilia would you buy and why?
Thursday, April 2, 2009
42. It is 8:00 p.m. and nearly dark; the power in your house goes out. What happens next?
Friday, April 3, 2009
43. You have the next ten days off! What are you going to do with yourself?!
EASTER BREAK :-)
Tuesday, April 14, 2009
44. If you could take a trip around the world with three people who would they be? Why? What places would you visit?
Wednesday, April 15, 2009
45. Write a short story that includes the following words: construction worker, mop, hotel room, and cell phone.
Thursday, April 16, 2009
46. You are down to the last fifty dollars you will ever have. What would you buy?
Friday, April 17, 2009
47. If an ATM could be custom created for you, what would you give instead of money? Why?
Monday, April 20, 2009
48. Write a short story that has the plot focus of losing a winning lottery ticket.
Tuesday, April 21, 2009
49. If you could be anyone in the world, who would you be and why?
Wednesday, April 22, 2009
50. Fairy tales typically end with "happily ever after." Re-write an ending of a famous fairy tale so that it does not end this way.
Thursday, April 23, 2009
51. You woke up today and looked into the mirror. You realize that you are a completely different looking person. Write a story about this.
Friday, April 24, 2009
52. Write a story about a disastrous family picnic. (fiction or nonfiction)
Monday, April 27, 2009
53. What are two qualities you look for in a friend (at least 2 paragraphs)
Tuesday, April 28, 2009
54. Write a story from the perspective of an animal. Do not tell what animal you are portraying.
Wednesday, April 29, 2009
55. A thesis is the main idea of a paper or essay; it must be something arguable. "The Cat in the Hat was written by Dr. Seuss" is not a thesis, because no one can reasonably contradict it. "The Cat in the Hat was an atrocious addition to children's literature because it was irrevelant and pointless" is a thesis, because someone can contradict. Write a thesis paragraph on the topic "The Importance of Email." The paragraph must make a arguable claim.
Thursday, April 30, 2009
56. Write a paragraph in support of the following thesis statement: All public schools should require students to wear uniforms. Remember to have at least three supporting details
Friday, May 1, 2009
57. Write a paragraph arguing against random locker searches in school. Make sure to have a solid thesis statement and at least three supporting sentences.
Monday, May 4, 2009
58. Using at least five or your vocabulary words for Unit 6, write a paragraph starting with: It was the most amazing...
Tuesday, May 5, 2009
59. Mother's day is on Sunday. Write a paragraph explaining why you appreciate the mother figure in your life.